If your business operates vehicles of any kind, you need a fleet management solution in place. Whether you operate cars, vans or HGVs, having a plan in place to help with manage these vehicles is essential.
But what is Fleet Management? And what tools can you utilise to make the process simple and efficient?
An introduction to Fleet Management
Fleet Management is the process of managing your company vehicles over their lifespan. This process includes purchasing, maintenance, tracking and fuel management. At the end of a vehicles lifespan, your plan includes a clear replacement process.
A Fleet Management plan isn’t just for companies with a large number of vehicles. They apply even if you are operating only one or two vehicles. Even if you operate a ‘grey fleet, where employees use their own personal vehicles for business purposes, it’s advisable to have a management plan in place.
The objectives are to increase safety, improve efficiency, cut fuel costs and ensure compliance and laws are adhered to.
Fleet Management ensures a plan is in place which outlines who is responsible for what. That brings us onto the Fleet Manager.
The role of a Fleet Manager
A Fleet Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily management of company vehicles. They require strong communication skills and must be able to multi-task.
Fleet Manager roles often include the following;
- Controlling Costs: they ensure operating costs do not exceed the budget. This is achieved through good negotiation on new vehicles, managing fuel purchasing using fuel cards and utilising telematics to identify areas where reductions can be achieved.
- Vehicle Maintenance: keeping your vehicles on the road is essential for the daily operations of your business. A Fleet Manager will be required to ensure vehicle checks are carried out daily and ensure the quick repair of any defects.
- Vehicle Tracking: it’s essential to know where your vehicles are at all times and this can be achieved with GSP Vehicle Tracking. Your Fleet Manager will be able to identify quicker routes, which drivers require training and the real-time location of vehicles. Vehicle Tracking and Telematics also offer security enhancements.
How does Fleet Management work?
There might seem like a lot to take in with regards to Fleet Management. This is true especially of larger fleets. However, there are tools that can make your life easier. Telematics play a huge role and are currently utilised by 86% of fleets. Vehicle checks, maintenance and fuel also play an important role.
Understanding Fleet Management Software
Selecting a system that provides the information you need and is easy to use is important.
You need to have all the information you require at your fingertips to enable you to react and make key strategic decisions daily. Fleet Management software typically covers;
- Driver Management: mileage, driver performance etc.
- Vehicle Management: maintenance, mileage, security features etc.
- Operations Management: GPS Tracking, route planning, fuel usage etc.
- Regulation Management: vehicle check history, working hours etc.
Our Fleet Management software, Velocity Fleet, covers all of the above including Fuel Cards, Telematics and Vehicle Checks. Accessible on both Desktop and Mobile through an app, Velocity is provided for free with all Fuelwise accounts.
Benefits of Fleet Management
Effective Fleet Management can be very beneficial but what does this translate to? Here are some proven benefits;
- Reduced fuel costs: effective use of telematics can help reduce fuel costs by up to 20%. This is achieved by improving Miles Per Gallon (MPG) scores.
- Improved safety: having a process in place that ensures the completion of vehicle checks will improve the safety of all road users.
- Less downtime: having a predictive maintenance schedule reduces the time your vehicles spend off the road.
- Better insight: utilising insights enables you to understand your vehicles and your drivers better. This means you can plan your vehicle usage more carefully and identify areas for improvement.
To find out more about our Fleet Management solutions, feel free to contact us to speak with a member of our team.